Friday, March 4, 2011

Nervous Enough?

I'm nervous about having enough time for everything once the baby comes. Everything including fixing meals and doing laundry and building castles and doing puzzles and learning the sounds of the alphabet and making art projects and baking muffins and cleaning the bathroom and... well, all you parents out there know that the list goes on and on. I'm nervous about taking all 3 kids to the grocery store. I'm nervous about how long it's going to take me to get all the kids in the car to get to the store. I'm nervous about the logistics of managing a family of 5.

But I'm not, at least so far, nervous about the delivery. The breastfeeding. The sleepless nights. The crying and the gas bubbles and the spit up. Thinking about all that doesn't bring up the same anxiety that I feel when I think about trying to hold (or feed or burp or calm) the new baby while Lola and Jackson are crying about their macaroni not being ready yet.

I was so worried about those things the first time around. Am I not so concerned with the difficulties of having a new baby because I've done it all once (ummm, twice?) and feel confident that I can handle it? Or have I forgotten how hard it really it all is?

At this point, with 2 months to go, I'm more nervous about handling the 3 year olds than I am the new baby. Well earned confidence of an experienced mother? Or denial that is destined to lead to shock and misery?

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that all Mother's have worried about the same things, and just like all the Mother's before you...You will be fine and you will do GREAT!
Love and Miss U
~Tracie

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tracie-- you will do fine and you will do great. And just like now, sometimes it won't feel like that! See you Monday! oma