Monday, August 2, 2010

The days are long...

The days are long but the years are short. I keep repeating that to myself.

Jackson has been very clingy lately. I feel like there is an invisible rope tying us together. When Jackson feels the space between us growing bigger and the rope being pulled tight he starts to panic. I hear "I need Mommy!" many many times a day. Jack will be playing with blocks or watching Mickey Mouse and it's seems like all of a sudden he feels that rope pull tight and he desperately needs me to hold him. He announces "I need Mommy!" and comes running to find me. This happens A LOT.

This attachment may sound sweet and cute but by the end of the day (or sometimes by the lunchtime, occasionally by mid-morning) it is exasperating. My patience grows short and my temper grows large and I find myself wishing Jackson would just leave me alone.

And of course there is the ever-present sibling wanting whatever the other child has. So once Jack has decided he must be held this instant Lola often comes running behind chanting "up up up up." Jack freaks out and begins crying "No Lola No Lola NO LOLA!" while she tries to climb my leg. I sit down so I can hold both children in my lap which satisfies neither and both cry passionately at the injustice of having to share my attention.

It is in this moment that I remind myself that the days may be long but the years are short. Soon they will be playing it far too cool to fight over space in my lap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! oma

Anonymous said...

As frustrating as those days get, cherish every moment of them. Cooper is almost 14 and I feel lucky to get a hug. I miss those days!
~Tracie