Friday, April 18, 2008

My new project



(Jackson fighting with his cloths that are too big)


First let me say how much I appreciate all the calls and well wishes from our friends and family during my pregnancy and since the babies were born. Aaron and I have not had an easy time of it these past months and it feels very good to know sooo many people are thinking about us and our kids. The least I can do is keep our loved ones updated about the progress of our little cuties!.

Some of you might have noticed that I'm less than great about answering the phone and returning calls. I wasn't excellent before. Now that I have 2 new babies...well, I'm lucky if I get time to brush my teeth much less chat on the phone. So I've had a brainstorm. How else in the 21st century do you share stories and pictures with all the people you love at the same time?

So here goes...

The babies are now 5 weeks and 3 days old and doing great! They haven't been weighed in 2 1/2 weeks but at that time Lola was 5 lb 1 oz and Jackson was 4 lb 13 oz. It feels like they have grown so much since then and when they go back to the doc on the 29th I expect Lola to be well over 6 lbs and Jackson to be not so far behind her. As they have gotten bigger they have really started to look less like premies and more like full term babies. They would have 39 weeks yesterday and their matured faces and little chubby bodies reflect that.

They are eating like champs and their meals are often less than 3 hours apart. I am however, very grateful for the occasional 4 hour eating hiatus. The pattern seems to be eat, eat, eat, and rest. My pattern seems to be feed, feed, feed, and then change my shirt. They are both having some mild digestive issues, which makes them cranky every once in a while. I have to say, when my tummy hurts I tend to be a bit cranky as well.

Other than tummy aches they are very relaxed babies. They love to sleep in their boppy pillows on the couch (thank you very much Dan and Klara!) and are starting to really like their swings (thanks to aunts Carrie, Missy, and Cindy!). Their favorite by far is being held. Both would be totally content to lay around on mommy and daddy's chests all day. Of course we would be content with that too. Unfortunately daddy must work and mommy must occasionally try and get some housework done. We do occasionally make it in to our cribs; don't we look cute? (yes, Jackson does have an equally adorable crib.)

That is the "pediatrician approved" way of sleeping, but I really prefer when they are like this...


They change so much everyday. It's hard to believe they are the same babies that were hooked up to all those machines in the NICU!

Well, Jackson is stirring in his Boppy and Lola is surely soon to follow (they have both been sleeping for an hour and a half...my luck is surely to be running out). Gotta go make bottles! Check back soon. I'll try to be better about the frequency of the blogging than the swiftness of return phone calls.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Great job, Diane! I love it. A great way for all of us to keep up with your and your family. Your family. It's got a nice sound to it.

love you, mom

Anonymous said...

You have watched my child grow up for years and now it's my turn to watch yours. I am so happy that I am a part of their lives. You and Aaron are going to be great parents! I love you all!
-Tracie

Amy said...

from the mother of twins to the friends of Diane and Aarron,

I know you are all great friends. Here are some of the best things you can do for the new parents of twins: When visiting give mom permission to take a nap or bath, fold a basket of clothes, fill the dishwasher, take out the trash, etc. It is the small little things that become impossible and it is really hard to ask for help. Dianne and Aaron are doing a great job. Each week will get easier. Those babies are so lucky to have you and each other.

love,
Amy